Do you have lower back pain? You are not alone. Back pain is the second highest reported area of pain among office workers in Singapore. Some 42% of the respondents to a study by the Singapore General Hospital said they suffered from back pain. This is only surpassed by neck pain (46%) and is similar to the number of office workers who have shoulder pain (42%,) the study showed.
Your risk of back pain increases if your work requires heavy lifting. Some eight of 10 reported cases of work-related back pain involved manual workers, according to a report by Singapore’s Workplace Safety and Health Institute. You are also more likely to suffer from back pain if you are young, with 65% of those with back pain, aged 21 – 40 years old.
In the United States, medication is no longer recommended as the first line of treatment for back pain, including chronic back pain, which is pain that has persisted for 3 months or more. Rising addiction to prescriptive painkillers, and the inefficacy of medication in offering long-term relief have prompted the shift in treatment in America. Instead, doctors are recommending patients with back pain to rest and stay active. Back pain is a musculoskeletal disorder. Can manual therapy and exercise help with back pain?
Exercises as Pain Relievers
Back Pain: OMG! Who shrunk the buttocks?
The case for strength exercises and manual therapy
Long hours of sitting have wasted away the strongest muscles of the body. The buttocks are main muscles for standing, walking and running. When they are weak they can cause lower back pain… READ MORE
We’ve Got Your Back
Back Care 1-to-1:
- Everyone’s lower back pain is different. The 1-to-1 offers a back care program just for you.
- We are qualified orthopedic manual therapist. We will loosen the tension or pain on the lower back for you. Manual therapy is like a massage, but more precise. When the tension is relieved, you’ll see better results from the stretching and exercise.
- Enjoy an exercise program that benefits the lower back. We are also qualified Pilates instructors and personal trainers. Enjoy exercises that strengthen the back and core muscles to prevent the pain from recurring.
- You can also exercise with confidence, knowing we will loosen the tension on the back as when you need. Be active again.
- Train in a studio that understands your pain.
Back Care Duet:
- Enjoy the privacy of a Class for Two.
- Have an exercise program designed for you both to stretch and strengthen your back and core muscles
- Want to come on your own for the Duet? Yes, you can. We can pair you up with someone. Call us to learn more.
Pilates Mat Group:
- Regular Pilates is known to help back pain. Pilates strengthens core muscles, which support the lumbar spine.
- Price starts from $20 / person for a trial. Register for January 2020 classes today. Class timings are Mon 8 am, Wed 5 pm, Thu 12 pm, Sat 2 pm.
6996 4396 to learn more or sign up below:
The best part, my lower back pain has gone awayI attended Pilates classes because of my lower back pain that came about after NS. I had fears prior to joining May’s Pilates session as the only guy in class, but her non-judgemental attitude very quickly eased my worries and concerns. I started to enjoy the sessions more and more each week with her patient guidance. The best part is that now my lower back pain has gone away!Sean
Back Care class is fun, therapeuticI have fun in the Back Care class. Who would have thought you could use foam roller, spike ball, exercise bands and even a tennis ball to loosen the lower back? The pain can be intense on the parts of the body where the muscles are tight. As I learn to relax into it, the painful sensation feels good. That is when I think my body gets pampered. My lower back is stronger also with the exercises in class, and I get to iron out the knots in my body. So therapeutic. I hope classes will continue as long as possible.Kwee Eng
NO MORE FEAR"I’d persistent lower back pain after giving birth to my daughter. I saw many healthcare professionals, but my back didn’t get better. But since starting my private sessions, my pain has gone. Before I didn’t want to move out of fear my back would act up, but not anymore. I’ve started running, and recently completed a 5-km run. Thank you!"Dian
You may also like
What is Pilates?
Pilates for Everyone
Pilates improves core strength, fitness, flexibility and posture. Joseph Pilates invented many equipment, and the most endearing is the reformer. If you think you are too inflexible for Pilates… READ MORE
What Type of Knee Pain do you have?
Say No to Knee Pain
Knee pain can be caused by an injury like a fall or a sudden force to the knee when playing a contact sport. But it can also happen slowly and not from a traumatic event… READ MORE
When the MRI scan or X-ray don’t show your pain
Five Misconceptions about MRIs, X-rays you should know
“I’m hurt. I’ve been to the doctor and nothing shows up on an x-ray or MRI but I can’t do what I want to. No one can find anything wrong with me.” READ MORE